12-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #70
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by entaiiie View Post
I've owned/driven a dozen+ manual cars, including a Mk7 Golf R and an M2. I back his opinion of the golf r being one of the most boring manual cars to drive. just because it's capable and refined does not make it exciting or fun. the noise it produces is awful. there's no drama in anything it does, it just .. does it. it lacks soul, it lacks feel - it's numb.

don't get me wrong, it's a great all around car.. but being a special version of a driver's car means you need to focus first and foremost on the driver's experience. it performs, it just doesn't feel special or create excitement for the driver in any way.
I could make some of the same comments in a comparison of the M2 vs. a 1M, both of which I am fortunate enough to own. The M2 is a pale shadow of a 1M, when it comes to driving engagement and fun, feels clinical and contrived, and yet you can buy a new one now and there isn't much better to buy instead, especially from BMW. If BMW was still offering the 1M for sale, I would never have even considered buying my M2 (whose presence allows me to keep my 1M as a lightly used garage queen).

As to the Golf R, it is similarly a question of what would you get instead, in today's market, that's better, and won't make you look like an overgrown teenager in the process. I used to own an STi, which undoubtedly is more engaging vehicle, however I don't think I could stand to be in one for more than 20 minutes at this point, the overall experience being pretty terrible (not to mention way less practical). All the other cars in the segment would embarrass the shit out of me to be seen in, plus they aren't really any better anyway.

As someone who demands a MT in my cars, the choice nowadays is pretty piss-poor. And within the choice present today, the Golf R is pretty good for what it is, warts and limitations and all.