View Single Post
      02-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Sorry, if I'm buying a used car, it has to be from the stereotypical "old lady, hardly drove" category or I'm passing.

I would never purchase one that's modded for power. Obviously, if the previous owner altered the vehicle for more pull, there is a more than likely chance he dogged on it. One doesn't add speed enhancers just to cruise the boulevard.. Just saying..

Especially if it's a manual; you could never tell how worn a clutch plate is, with today self-adjusting clutch, so that's always a roll of the dice.
I think just the nature of it being a sports car means it's more than likely someone dogged on it haha.

In practice, my previous car I purchased from the original owner and he would go on and on about all the maintenance he's done to it, showing me paperwork all the way back to 2007, telling me ever specific fluid it used, and telling me every little thing wrong with it. Even though the car was in immaculate condition for being 7 years old, he would point out every minute scratch on it. I suppose because he had a car he was proud of and also wanted to show trust. That he wasn't hiding anything from me. His wife was even crying as I drove off with it. It was a 2007 Saab 93 Aero that I purchased in 2013. This guy only ever owned Saab and he had two other Saabs that he daily drove. They really loved the car and loved Saabs in general. After I purchased it, I went over it with a fine tooth comb detailing it and restoring little things that were worn. Like faded black plastic trim, new wheel center caps, etc.

And my m2, I bought new because I wanted the experience of owning a new car. One that no one else sat in, doesn't have any little wear marks on it from a previous owner, etc.

Even though logically, I don't see any reasons a well maintained used and/or tracked car wouldn't be just as reliable as a new car. I think it's more mental with wanting something to be all yours. It's like getting into a relationship and she still has her ex's spit on her. Or I guess a better example would be she still wears clothes that smell like his cologne. There's just something territorial and psychological about it that I can't quite explain that when you possess something, you want it to be yours and not reminded of it's past.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-16-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0