Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
Post Let's fix the M2 rattles - DIY

Hey everyone!

I put together a simple DIY guide on how to fix the main 2 rattles that I had on my M2 since the day I got it from the dealership.

Those rattles were driving me insane but after a loooong afternoon I managed to nail the position where they were coming from and fix them.

Hope this guide helps anyone encountering the same problem

First: Rear view mirror rattle

Here's a little video of the most annoying noise I had

This is the simplest fix but took me forever to pinpoint the source of the noise, because it was bouncing off the windscreen and dash and made me think it was coming from a totally different area.

Step 1.
Remove the plastic cover of the rear view mirror. Very easy to do, just separate the two halves using your fingers by lifting one half up and pushing the other down.

Step 2.
With the covers removed, I noticed one cable not being secured in his retention clip... possibly one source of the rattle

Step 3.
Insert some foam or spacer between the rain sensor plastic housing and the mirror. This all plastic assembly is very unsecured and by hitting the glass it generates noise

Step 4.
Add some electric tape to the side pins which hold the two plastic covers to the main body of the mirror. I noticed that during driving if I would squeeze the two halves together at the bottom the rattle would stop.

Step 5.
Reassembly

Second: Rattle coming from center console area/glovebox

This is the most invasive fix and it took me a good 2hrs to do, mainly because I was being extra careful in removing all the trim pieces to not damage them.

You will need some trim removal plastic tools for this. I have an LCI M2 so the steps are for this version, for the pre-lci I can guess they would be similar.

Step 1.
Remove the front air vent and trim. Use the trim tools to pry the panel, all the clips are just pressure-held in and they will come off by pulling towards you.

I decided to not disconnect the electrical wiring

Step 2.
Insert some foam or spacer between the right air conduct and the top part of the dash. This is a source of the noise.

Step 3.
Remove glovebox compartment. I also removed the passenger side air vent in the process of finding the source of the noise *you don't need to do this as there's nothing behind*

To remove the glovebox you need to first remove the kick panel underneath it, it's held in place by 4 T20 torx screws, after that disconnect the foot light connector. By doing this you will reveal two screws which hold the bottom glovebox in place - unscrew them *sorry no pics*

Open the glovebox and remove the front-facing screws. After that you'll be able to pull the all glovebox out. Disconnect the glovebox light connector.

Step 4.
There is a tag which is resting against the plastic on one of the cables causing a rattle, I secure it by applying some electrical tape.

Step 5.
I added some foam onto the air ducts for the foot area, the clearance between them and the kick panel is really tight.. not sure if they can generate noise but I've done it as a preventive maneuver

Step 6.
Reassembly

Step 7.
Enjoy your rattle-free M2
Appreciate 12
MadViper141.50
D CHOI581.00
rich8566608.50
963mw331.00
CSBM52721.00
M235guy75.50
DARKMTTR229.00