View Single Post
      02-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #51
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

So, BMW Belgium went a long way to arrange a manual for me to test. The DCT car was with all the M Performance goodies + exhaust, while this was a standard equipped car. I went to the test center with no high expectations, but already when I got into the car it felt better: manual seats = lower seating position which suits me much better. Started the car: no droning like with the M Perf exhaust. I'll make the story short: while during the DCT test drive I returned the car after 45min, leaving with the impression that it's a fun little car, but a bit clinical, this time I came back after 1.5h, because I really had to, not because I wanted to. Completely different car, so much more fun. Imo, the M2 is made to be sold with a manual, and this is coming from someone who loves the DCT transmission. But, while in my M4 cab the DCT feels like the 2 are made for each other, the opposite is true for the M2. Rev matching didn't bother me as it's very subtle in comfort mode. In sports mode, the sounds, popping, crackles get very present, the whole car comes alive. Yes, the throw is long and rubbery, sure the clutch pedal has a long travel, but these minuses did not spoil the experience. I just loved every second of the drive and now really understand why the more serious car journo's rave about it. For me, the decision is made and I would strongly suggest to anyone considering this car, to test drive both.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00