12-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
TYSP33D
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 M2

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello all:

Please brace yourselves for the pictures you are about to witness.

I have begun preparation of my 2016 M2 DCT for competition for 2018 Season.

Ran a sucessful season in BMW CCA + Other endurance events in my E46. It just wasn't enough power. We had many top 10 overall finishes with our 330i but we were always struggling to keep up with the big boys.

Here is an article written by goodwood.com about my last creation which we ran in the HSR 24 of Daytona in November . This is privateer racing , and participated on select events that we were granted entry.

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/h...na-classic-24/

Hopefully will give you a better idea of who I am and maybe the level of madman we are dealing with here!!

It's time to beat the big boys now.

The M2 has been my dream car since the concept first debuted in 2014?15?

I have enjoyed the car on the street for around 3,000 Miles and now it is unfortunately time to sacrifice her to the racing GODS. I feel there is no other way to go.

Planning to campaign this car in BMW CCA B MODIFIED and Nasa GTS 4 in various tunes and alterations/configurations.

I am currently gathering support from a few manufactures for various parts that will be utilized for the build. Cage construction will be done by myself.

We are going to use various M235iR interior carbon bits including center console, foot pans and door cards so it all looks nice and finished off.
Plans to use Fall line rear closeout with the cage as well.

The front end + deck lid is off as it is going to motorsports composite manufacture, to be made into molds, and manufactured in dry carbon. No one likes steel parts on a race car. We will be using an RKP carbon roof.

Other details are going to be displayed as we go along Plans to be on track by April of 2018.

Buckle up.

If anyone reading this is a supporting vendor of this forum and is willing to help us out we would love to work with you!

UPDATES:

So far we are very thankful to have the help of IND Distribution , who will be supplying us with various parts for this build !

They have helped us to source a few key BMW M235IR interior components including the BMW motorsport center console, foot/pedal box and more.

We are also in the process of removing the glass so that we can install their 2x2 CF WEAVE roof panel

Cage fabrication is due to start its design phase 1/14/18

Update 1/09/18:

Car is basically fully stripped with the exception of wiring and the dash, slated to be removed tomorrow . Today we spent the day cutting out the factory steel roof and mocking up our RKP carbon 2x2 weave roof from @INDDistribution !

Total weight savings over oem steel is 13 lbs! Not a crazy amount of weight here but damn does it look cool!

We have a slew of parts including CSF racing products , Stoptech STR60 brakes , and all the suspension bits on order , to be delivered over the next week so stay tuned !

Update 1/10/18:

Thankful to be partnering with APEX Race Parts for this build. We will be using their beautiful FL-5 Wheels ! Looking forward to getting them mounted up for testing and getting up some pics!
I have attached a teaser for now...

Update 1/12/18:

Many parts are now ordered and on their way. Plans to tackle rear end next week as well as cage fabrication to begin. 90 Feet of 1.75 0.120 DOM roll bar tubing was delivered yesterday!

Also very happy to announce partnership with CSF ! CSF Racing has graciously agreed to assist with the project, and has sent us their entire cooling suite for the F82! They patiently sit at the front of the car, awaiting installation. More on that later for sure!

Oh and the dash is out, so we are pretty much 100% Torn down...

One of the biggest aspects of this project will be the wiring/coding. I am in conversation already with a few different people who are going to try and assist with coding out the dozen or so things that this car has been equipped with from the factory but no longer will need for racing. These include:

-Coding out of Airbags/SRS Restraints
-Removal of basically the premium package including stereo system/navigation equipment.
-Deactivation of Lane departure and frontal collison warning systems
-Removal of the Air conditioning compressor / charge monitorings
-Reflashing of the DCT to GTS Flash
-Reflashing of the EPS to more sport/race settings
-Reflashing of the DSC to remove brake fade compensation
-Reflashing of the Rear axle control to enhance lockup characteristics

Another challenge we will face, as TIV from @HRD and I discussed , is that no one really has fully uncovered the CAN protocol for F-series yet. So with the installation of AIM data system , there will be a lot of figuring out to do , to be able to pick up the proper data for display. Things like Brake pressure, wheels speeds, and even Oil pressure are not yet discover-able by the AIM system, as the CAN protocol is not yet available.

Update 1/17/2018
Parts are rolling in ! And cage fab has begun . We got the car 100% torn down , and Drew has begun to work his magic fabricating the base plates for the cage main hoop and rear down bars .

We also removed the rear subframe so that we can begin to install all the rear suspension bits (pics to come there) .

Also, started layup of the carbon fiber headlight blanks 😎 . Started by wrapping the ~$3000 a piece headlights in saranwraps and mold release , and then laying down some carbon cloth with a nice clear resin . We are going to affix the covers directly to the bumper .

Got one of them done - check it out ! Should save some good weight between both headlights !

Update 1/20/2018:

Now we have some pace! - we made good traction this week (no pun intended) !

- Hood, doors and deck lid were dropped for mold making and will be getting manufactured in Motorsports grade composite !

-Safety Cage fabrication is underway with all mounting plates welded , main hoop, rear down bars , halo hoop , and some supports fabricated .

-Complete rear end was removed , and installation of a slew of components is underway . This includes a complete host of Fall Line Spherical rear bearings , Fall Line Adjustable rear toe arms (race version), @PowerflexUSA Black Series rear bushing kits , @Bimmerworld race stud kits, and we are awaiting our @Dinan sway bar kits . Special thanks to Cat@IND Distribution for the hookup on the Fall-Line components and Dinan bars for this part of the job.

-Stoptech STR-60 kits arrived yesterday thanks to StopTech and @Autocouture for the hookup!

- @apexraceparts 18x10 FL-5 wheels arrived and were mounted to 285/30R18 tires for fit up .

-lots more to come , can only build the car and write so much at a time

Much Needed update 1/29/2018

OK Boys, things are starting to pick up. The rear end is complete now and back on the car.

The cage is well underway and the rear section, halo and front down bars are all cut and tacked in place, awaiting the seat for measurements for the door bars.

The cooling system, sans intercooler is in place, including modifications to bypass the auxiliary cooler in the LEFT front bumper is now gone, and the heat exchanger under the coolant expansion tank (which is going to be relocated) is now also removed from the system.

I will get more specific pictures and information on the cooling system modifications in a separate post.

We were going to use APEX FL-5 ET25 18x10 Squared at all 4 corners, but its looking like we are now going to wait and use the new M2 Specific fitment at the rear, which is 18x10.5 ET40 I believe. This will help with the little bit of a clearance issue we have at the back.

Carbon headlight blanks are done also and they came out nice.

WE also are designing solid aluminum race engine mounts for the F8x platform including m2/m3/m4. WE are going to make the trans mounts also. (see pic).

I am trying to get a short video together to cover some of these topics so I can address everything as a whole- but we are slammed right now in prep for race season so time to write is limited. I hope the pics speak for themselves.

4/4/18: I didn't give up folks ! It's hard to build a race car no one has ever done before you and also keep up with running a small business, and having a life . Posted a few shots near completion on page 9! Check it out !
Attached Images

Last edited by TYSP33D; 01-29-2018 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 51
RedCarrot230.50
chief207.00
geogerf115.50
CSBM52695.50
963mw331.00
Acexxon638.00
termigni1080.00
M3 Alex122.50
dvas515.00