05-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #124
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
I haven't read the whole thread - forgive me! - but what are the "symptoms" of a blown charge pipe? I'm having some issues right now and I suspect that is what it is, but I'm not entirely certain.

I have CEL on, rough idle that occasionally stalls when stopped, feels like no power/boost/responsiveness when I hit the pedal especially trying to accelerate onto a highway, and a noticeably loud whoooshy air noise from the engine.

The car was at BMW for 2 days and they replaced an air mass flow sensor, gave me the keys back and clearly it still has issues and is not repaired.
It depends, if it is minor like a small hair line crack you just lose power and really it is not noticeable. If it is bad like the flange completely fails and blows off you will hear a loud pop and can see the charge pipe not being attached to the throttle body. You will also get a CEL and drivetrain error warning on the idrive.

Do you have a cold air intake? The rough idle, stalling and CEL is signature of a cold air intake causing issues with the MAF reading, the only intake I have never seen an issue with is the CTS turbo intake.

If you don't have an intake then we would need codes to further the diagnosis, otherwise it is just speculation. Data logging will also help diagnose a broken chargepipe since you will see the boost deviation between the target and actual if the car is leaking enough boost. You could also see abnormally high WGDC too.