Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Why does it matter if the platform is no longer being built on. The car will run 20+ years if cared for.
Certainly. And if I didn't pick up my M2C last year, I might seriously consider the M2CS. It's just a bummer to spend a lot of money for a halo, "best of breed" car, only to have its platform replaced the next year with updated/better engine, suspension, brakes, features, etc. It's just the necessary timing of the model life cycle.

On the other hand, at least with BMW, the updated model is almost always heavier and more removed/insulated from the driving experience. And time helps bring into focus the true greats—the E46 M3 CSL owner probably isn't upset that he or she doesn't have a base E92 M3...
The thing about BMW Ms that I like is they are generally holistic cars and no replacement car is better in every regard than the car it replaces. They always compromise some other dimension.

This allows owners of all cars to enjoy them even after they've been 'replaced'

Eg. E92 M3's steering feel and engine sound often regarded as better than the F80

But the F80 M3 is now regarded as better looking than the G80 M3

The E46 M3 was regarded as having the best straight 6 sound vs the then sacrilegious 8 cylinder E92 M3

For the F87 - OG M2 has better engine sound than the M2C and M2C is considered better value proposition than the M2CS
Appreciate 1