09-23-2020, 07:14 AM   #20
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I tried to replace only my rear tyres for ps4, where the fronts were still the OE-spec run flats...I was told that I had to replace the rears with run flats, or replace all 4 for non-rft, otherwise the car would be dangerous to drive.

Of course, I walked away from that garage....and the next one who said the same, until I found one who warned me of it but did the work anyhow (the others refused). I ran it like that for over a year, until the fronts needed to be changed, and still can't figure out how it could have been dangerous to have a mixed set...sure it wasn't ideal for handling, but having worse tyres on the rear would hardly have helped!

The first garage even told me it would null my insurance, so I phoned them and they told me it was fine...they basically didn't care!
I did the same, for about a year I was running rear standard tires with front runflats. I was also warned it would be dangers but with them all being high performance Summer tires, limits far higher than my wife's Acura TSX in all conditions nobody could explain how it would be dangerous. I agree not optimum but people buy SUV's everyday that have very average stopping and handling.