View Single Post
      09-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Why would this be any different than a non RFT?

Beyond that, the cars actually are designed and suspensions tuned with the stiffer sidewalls of a RFT. This doesn't mean it's tuned to our liking, as bean counters are involved, but they are. Either way, I replace with non RFTs and I order them online so I don't deal with SAs trying to tell me what I need to buy.
Because if you plug or use sealant with your run-flat (or normal tire), you obviously didn't need a runflat.

If you run on the sidewalls of the run-flat, which is what it's designed to do in an emergency (flat tire), it compromises the tire. So my point was that if you actually use it as intended (don't care to put air in it and just figure it'll be fine to run it like that to the service station or whatever), you "get" to buy multiple new run-flat tires.

I'm not saying that run-flats can't be repaired, you can plug them just like any tire. I'm just telling you what the dealer and any tire shop is going to tell you.

From Pirelli:
Quote:
7. Run Flat Tires
Always refer to the vehicle owner’s manual with respect to specific safety and operating information
relating to the vehicle. Damaged Run Flat tires or Run Flat tires that have experienced a loss of
pressure should immediately be replaced with another Run Flat tire of identical size and Service
Description (Load Index and Speed Symbol).

Run Flat tires have been developed based on the specifications of the vehicles on which they are
mounted. Accordingly, Run Flat tires should only be mounted on vehicles specifically manufactured to
accommodate Run Flat tires.
Run Flat tires must be mounted in conjunction with a functional Tire Pressure Monitoring System
(TPMS).
The mounting of tires and installation of the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) should be
carried out by an authorized Pirelli dealer

Last edited by RM7; 09-22-2020 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0