View Single Post
      03-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #472
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I’ve narrowed my search down to 2 intercoolers - 3 maybe.

ER - the prior best intercooler. You don’t hear about it much anymore, but I’ve never seen anything bad about it, or anything compared to it really.

VRSF 6.5 and/or Race - Not sure this is the same, but these just get things done. They are old school. No rounded end ranks, or fancy design. It’s straight up big and that’s how the job gets done. It’s also cheaper.

ATM/CSF - I’ve read a ton. The most track worthy, holds records for fastest N55 (until recently I believe - I’m tired, I was up all night reading) the ATM should flow better and have less lag than the CSF, both are better than the Evo 2 from every test I’ve seen. Also cheaper.

Why not:

AA - too small. (Goes for all 5”cores)
eBay - Garbage
Wagner - Evo 3 has no test, the Evo 2 is outright inferior to the others mention in absolute cooling. Even the claimed faster recovery doesn’t measure up on the track where it heats up quicker and higher than the rest, and it’s smaller meaning it’s absolute ability to hold heat is lower.
Do88 - same as the Wagner. It’s better in terms of absolutes keeping temps, but it was 5* vs 10* or so for the ATM/CSF. No reason to buy this over the other more capable options.
Just a note that I haven’t seen the M2 listed as an application for the ATM.

I’ll also make the same comment here that I did on the F30 board. Point is, the best IC for someone is the one that has the best blend of characteristics for their use, not just cooling capacity.

For me, a 10F IAT improvement isn’t going to make much of an impact for guys running Emixes on track. I wouldn’t trade to a 5-10lb heavier IC with worse throttle response to gain what would only be a few hp on an Emix tune on track.

If you run 93 octane on track, then the 10F difference will be noticeable on hot days.

To get a 20F+ difference over the Evo 2 Comp we’re talking about needing a massive IC, all of which are going to be 30lbs+. I haven’t seen that any of the massive bar/plate IC’s have that kind of performance gain without making lag even worse.

Apparently the Evo 3 achieves all these things from Wagner’s data, but no one knows why it will fit the M235i and not the M2.

Last edited by ZM2; 03-04-2020 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50