View Single Post
      06-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Why not BMS, and why hopefully in the future?

I *LOVE* the BMS use of the fuel gauge as a boost gauge and the cruise control indicator as a meth flow gauge.

I'm not as keen on controlling the WMI flow by modulating the pump, rather than a PWM valve close to the jets, but I'm sure it's a fine system.

There is no doubt that the JB4 system, with its intercepting of many engine sensors, has the ability to do the most elegant of fail-safe systems, rather than operating in the way most other WMI control systems (including Aquamist) do and simply opening the waste-gate behind the back of the DME, causing at best a CEL, and at worst, a Drive Train Malfunction and limp mode.

Probably the main reason I'm not going with the BMS system from the get go is that I don't have, and had no intention, to install a JB4 for its tuning benefits anyway. When you factor in the cost of the JB4 + BMS, you're at pretty much the same price as an Aquamist system.

So the two main things I dislike about the Aquamist system, are the things two things I love about the BMS system - Non-OEM Gauge, and Inelegant Fail Safe. Fortunately, Aquamist has no objection at all, and would actually welcome the opportunity to be more integrated with the JB4 controller!

The Aqaumist obviously has a fail-safe switched output, but it also has a flow signal output that can be used by standalone engine management units, or JB4. To quote Richard @ Aquamist directly:
Over and above the aquamist failsafe, the cointroller can also send a flow sign to JB4 so it can perform alternative failsafe functions. It is done by connecting the yellow wire of the green harness to the JB4. Armed with this signal JB4 can do a number of useful things. See picture below:

Aquamist/JB4 interface signal:

Advanced precise failsafe detection for partially clogged jets:

I'm therefore going to try and reach out to Terry @ BMS and see if there is any way to have the JB4 be used as a gauge and fail-safe for the Aquamist system.

One of the things I'm not clear on, is that the JB4 is typically used to increase power, and the fail safe therefore drop back to stock. This isn't what I'm looking for, because my BM3 based DME flash will be used to boost power. What I need from the JB4 is the ability to reduce boost and timing to protect the engine in a fail safe condition, rather than stop adding boost and timing.

I'm hopeful that Terry will see this not as a system that competes with his own BMS WMI, but is complementary, and will still result in a JB4 sale, even if not a BMS WMI system sale!

If that happens, I'll be running JB4 (for fail-safe and gauges), Aquamist (for control) and BM3 (for tune)!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0