View Single Post
      06-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Why PTFE Hose?

My original plan was to go with braided stainless AN fitting lines like you can buy from Snow Performance, but once I started researching AN fitting lines, I discovered that these are actually PTFE hose with a Stainless over-braid. The AN fitting itself has a compression fitting on one end for the PTFE hose, and an AN compression fitting on the other end. There is actually an additional potential point of failure if I went with this sort of hose, not to mention that there is also an issue in getting AN converters to the Aquamist fittings which are in most cases Metric or BSP.

After searching around on various forums, I found the following picture on the Aquamist.co.uk forum which shows an Audi motor installed with PTFE tubing, Low profile compression fittings and carbon fiber over-braid (not to be confused with typical braided wrap which will just melt with heat) held in place with glue filled heat shrink tubing.

The carbon over-braid is mostly for show, but will provide some abrasion resistance, and makes the install look more OEM; there is another pipe / cable in the engine bay that has black over-braid, but I'm not sure what it is yet. Will post after I investigate more!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings

Last edited by Nezil; 06-07-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
ZM22783.50