AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Reads like you know way more than me on this - can you expand why M2C cluster wouldn't work as an upgrade to a pre-LCI cluster, given LCI OG m2 cluster works wo issue once coded....
I haven't tried it myself so I don't have any 1st hand evidence to present to you, but looking at it logically you can immediately see the potential issues that arise. The Pre-LCI and LCI M2 are both N55 cars. There weren't any major changes made between them. The M2C is a completely different story. It has an S55 so you have different driving modes, displays, a different tach and speedo with different redlines...

Sure the screen at the bottom is digital but the rest of the gauge isn't. Given the physical differences and changes between the two, It's very unlikely it would be able to function as intended in an N55 car. How would you even code it? You have M2C hardware that would be using standard M2 coding. Then, assuming the wiring is even the same, at the very least you'd be missing a few display lights in the cluster and/or have a few extra one's that are there but are totally unusable. And that's the best case scenario. In all likelihood a majority of the hardware it simply won't work, and even if it does it might not display the information correctly since it would be calibrated for a different car/engine. You probably wouldn't be able to tell what driving mode you're in, how fast you're going or what rpm you're at. All for what? The logo that says M2 instead of M?

Also keep in mind, once you mate a cluster to a car the vin and milage stay with it. You won't just be able to buy an M2C gauge, plug it in, code it, see if it works and resell it or return it if you have issues. Once it's plugged in and coded it's no longer able to adapt to someone else's vehicle without taking it apart and soldering a new chip onto it. So unless you have $1000 to waste and a shit load of time on your hands to conduct this experiment you're much better off just getting the N55 LCI cluster. Aesthetically It's almost identical to the M2C gauge and it'll function 100% with 0 compatibility issues. It's a no brainer.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 09-06-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
No Boost4021.00