12-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #18
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Looks to me like someone took an eraser wheel to the bumper to try and remove the adhesive and forgot the bumper was plastic. Those wheels will eat straight through paint on plastic parts, ask me how I know...
In getting further information from the PPF installer, "We use heat from a steamer to loosen the adhesive and then a thin plastic wire to separate the adhesive. No eraser wheels, but we do use a micro fiber towel and liquid 3M adhesive remover to take off any residue as necessary".

I really do not think this was caused from their removal of the plate, but going to be hard to prove either way.

Edit: Went by shop on the way home to see it in person for myself. There's no damage on the plate whatsoever, front or back, and nothing on the back of the plate that would seem like it would've happened in transport. No paint found on the adhesive, and they kept all of the adhesive from the removal in a plastic bag for me. The adhesive also was not placed over/on top of the damaged area. The PPF shop seems very honest and I truly don't think it happened under their watch, and really believe it bumped into something prior to plate being originally mounted. Oh how much I wish the VDC removed the plate and found it, or I just went ahead and removed the plate prior to delivery or drop off in Munich. I really don't think I will be happy with anything but a new OEM bumper from the factory, painted. No word from BMW NA or the dealer today, so will give them a little longer. Meanwhile, the car is essentially completed, aside from the front hood/fenders/bumper (you know, the key places I was most concerned with getting wrapped in the first place...), and the rest of the car looks great.

Last edited by ROASTM; 12-03-2019 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Appreciate 0