Thread: HPDE 101?
View Single Post
      10-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #13
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

With no track experience I think 1 weekend on MPSS will have plenty of life left in them. I've seen several people still running MPSS + stock pads without camber plates after starting in novice groups and moving up to intermediate groups (i.e. 2-4 weekends) on my local track (which admittedly is not that heavy on brakes), they usually have very dusty wheels and worn shoulders but still lots of life.

For a complete novice I would stay stock, you can upgrade the fluid and perhaps pads but your first sessions are not going to be at high pace. You'll be overwhelmed with concentrating on the track and traffic around you. DS2500 pads would likely be absolutely plenty for the first weekend and likely fine for one or two more if you do decide to change pads. Starting with more aggressive pads probably won't help much for the first few HPDEs as you won't really get that much heat into them.

After you've enjoyed your first weekend then inspect pads and tires and consider whether camber plates and better pads are needed. I was on track with my M2 with MPSS + Pagid RS29 and no camber plates for 2 weekends in intermediate groups, the tires have now been retired to street use only (shoulders completely gone but lots of tread otherwise). I added camber plates the following season and went to RE71s and moved up to advanced groups, the RE71s don't last long (RS29s lasted 10-12 days).

I've been running RS4s and PFC08s recently, the RS4s last much longer than RE71s. I got 5 days or so out of my last set of RE71s, I'm going into day 7 & 8 with the RS4s this weekend. The PFC08s will have lasted me a full season (14 days) and might have some life left for next year too.
Appreciate 1