10-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I assume you're using the same pad compound front to rear? If I have a good theory why you see higher rear wear.

I think this has most to do with the square setup you’re running. All cars are designed with a brake force distribution which forces fronts to lock up before the rears. But in your case you’ve increased front grip, while keeping rear at factory level. That means that front locking pressure has increased from say 100bar to more like 110 or 115 bar.

So you’re reaching higher Master Cylinder locking pressures because the front can now lock at higher BAR of pressure.

So the front can take more decel, without locking, but the rear is still subject to higher pressures because brake system pressure is driven by the max overall pressure. So if you reach too much pressure in the rear, ABS or EBD will take care of it, but the pressure from the master cylinder is still higher than it would be in factory staggered configuration. So the rears can’t support more, but are still exposed to higher brake system pressure leading to more heat. I bet the rears are getting hotter than fronts leading to quicker pad consumption.

It should be more or less even front to rear.
Same compound front and rear. Interesting theory. FWIW, the rear calipers are still blue, unlike the fronts, but OTOH, the dust seals have started melting recently. They were fine when I put the last set of pads in (pre-transition to DSC off). Fronts were cooked by midsummer (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
I run a square setup and always all electronics off. Running PFC08s all around, I get about 12 days on my fronts and double the amount of days on my rears, or about 24 days.

Something else seems to be off with your pad wear experience.
Great data point. If a few others chime in with a similar experience, I may need to do some investigating.

I plan to rebuild front and rear calipers and replace all rotors over the winter in preparation for next season though, so if it is a caliper issue, perhaps I’ll address it with this refresh. I already rebuilt the front calipers over the summer when I noticed some uneven pad wear and a little bit of pad drag on one while driving.

Could be the rears are just ready for attention as well. Maybe they’re dragging now and I’m just not hearing the signs of it. With all the extra stuff going on in the rear, between the drivetrain and parking brake, it’s harder to tell with a wheel off.

Curious to hear from some others though.
Appreciate 0