Thread: HPDE 101?
View Single Post
      08-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I don't think there is really a good HPDE 101 thread around here, the start is pretty simple, it's once you get into it a bit more then car specific discussion about upgrades is useful.

The most important thing for your very first time is that you want to do an event with instruction, ideally classroom, skidpad and in-car instruction. Your first few sessions will be sensory overload and you're likely to miss traffic or marshal signals so a second set of eyes in the car with experience is very helpful.

As to prepping the car, as mentioned you can start with stock pads and fluids but depending on the track and how quickly you pick things up you could end up with some fade. The stock brakes on the M2 can overheat very quickly, I'm not sure how much better the M2C's brakes are (they should be better since more mass and at the front there are at least some more ducts into the wheel wells).

For your first day you shouldn't really do anything else, regular high-performance summer tires like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pilot Sport 4S, Continental's equivalent, etc are plenty good enough for beginner track days. Just make sure they have decent thread depth left, you're not likely to use up that much thread but the tire shoulders will likely take quite a beating.

There isn't really much else car prep that you should do, the first thing is to start to build up your performance driving skills. The key thing, in my opinion at least, is to find a good group to run with, good instruction is key. I'd recommend a group which does lots of instruction, avoid groups which are more lapping focused until you are honing your skills. Once you've found a good program to start with then hopefully they will have good details about any technical inspections they require and what safety equipment will be required. At COTA I'd imagine any group would require proper SA rated helmets (i.e. no motorcycle helmets), you may want to rent one initially (in which case definitely buy a decent balaclava, you'll be sweaty) or buy one.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4654.50