View Single Post
      05-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #106
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z435is View Post
That’s less than a 10lb difference. For a load more performance, like the 230i and M2 Comp/Chunk, but that has a 200lb difference.

I no longer have the E89, but the weight diff between 35i vs 35is (which is a more reasonable comparison) was negligible.

SO a 3650 lb M2 that weighs more than an M4 and 350lbs more than a 320i is okay? You gonna let BMW and the engineers off the hook for that? The M2 was supposed to be the purist’s BMW with focus on dynamics and tossable fun. You’re the one that doesn’t seem to get it. What is wrong with you
Here is what you don't understand. I will try to make it clearer for you:

You are buying a finished car and a driving experience, not a spec sheet. You don't even really need to know how much the car weighs. It is a spec that contributes to the driving experience but does NOT solely define it. The suspension setup, steering ratio, wheels/tires, etc. contribute a lot to how the car feels and behaves. It is entirely possible to conceal 150 lbs (about 4.5% weight difference on a 3500 lb car) and actually make the car handle better dynamically depending on what the engineers actually did. There are already cars that handle better than an M2 and weigh more! It is naive to say that the 150 lbs will hurt the dynamic behavior of the car when you have no idea what they have done to the suspension.

From a purely practical standpoint it is obvious why BMW did this. The M2 is their cheapest M car. The N55 wasn't gonna pass emissions so they dropped in the S55. They did not bring over some of the CF weight saving components from the M4 to keep the price down. I don't understand what the problem is? As other posters mentioned, Competition is the new model designation replacing the ZCP option packages. It's never meant to be the same thing as CS, GTS, or CSL.

When it comes out, make a list of all reviews that claim it doesn't handle as well as the current M2 and then you can PM it to me. I guarantee this is going to be an empty list.
Appreciate 4
BAN_M2C4180.00
akkando5864.50
Junni88.00
Not Sure212.50