Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
IMHO it's puzzling why many people still try explaining the 1M success (even nowadays) as a result of "primarily low production" ? As former 1M owner, in my view the main reason of its success was plain and simple: it was/is excellent value for money.
Yes, the 1M was a great car for the money (MSRP) when it was first offered. Investment/collectible purposes aside, it's nowhere near worth what some people are paying now, though pricing has settled down for the 1M. Conversely, the M4 GTS is a great car, but because it was grossly overpriced by BMW, it was poorly reviewed. If it had been offered at just under 6 figures (which the market quickly corrected it to), its legacy would be completely different. BMW could have secured the M2 CS legacy if it had offered it in the mid- (or possibly even even high-) seventies. But at 84K to start, I'm not so sure.
I think we can both agree the 1M's success was based on both low production and great value... however; I question its effectiveness as an M car? I mean how is it that an M235i which came out 2 years later beat it on every track and wasn't even an M car with less power... i think that speaks volumes to how crappy the E82 chassis was. Parts bin or not, specialty aside... that car from a drivers aspect has little goinf for it imho.
I don't think anyone is agreeing with you.....however, it is obvious you have never driven one.

Take one for a spin and report back 😉

FYI - no one gives 2 shits about typical stats when your carving up some twisties on back country roads...all about the feel and connection to the car...regardless of the brand.

I don't think I've ever gotten out of my car after a spirited drive with friends, and anyone talks about their cars stats...lol!
I used to have a tuned 135i and 2 of my friends owned 1M's... one of these 1M's was a base lightweight model with JRZ suspension all around.

Was it a great car? Absolutely
Was it a car that was mounds better than my 135i witha few suspension mods? No it wasn't

I think one of them realized that as he sold his for an F80 M3. I think if it was all about feel then we should all be driving Lotuses, Miatas and Honda S2k's. The 1M was great but extremely great was its rarity and price... let me also remind you when the 1M came; at the tail end of the E92 M3 cycle and was the only turbo M car offered at the time.