02-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #10
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
This could be due to a multitude of factors. I am not saying this installer was bad, however, a poor PPF application and/or aggressively cleaning against the leading edge of the PPF could cause some lifting whereas dirt would collect beneath. An excellent installer in NY used to tell clients to wash and wax with a mitt/applicator moving from the PPF to the paint not the the other way.

I have had three white cars wrapped with PPF, two of which were with Xpel Ultimate including the white GT3 below. One was wrapped for 10 years without issue. My HS M2C is also wrapped. I do not have any issues with black marks failing to come off the leading edges.

Some PPF has been known to yellow on white cars over time; usually anywhere from 5-10 years depending on other issues. I believe this has been corrected with the latest films.
I have no doubt that there are folks with white cars and Xpel with no problems and perhaps it was the installer, although this one seems quite large (for Connecticut) and reputable. They told me that this problem is unavoidable because no matter how well the Xpel is applied, over time some dirt is going to collect under the leading edge. Think of it this way... you can without too much effort peal the stuff off with a finger nail; it makes sense that wind-driven dirt can accumulate under the edge. I am fanatical about car care and wash my cars very carefully, mitt-applicator, film to paint. Just my experience. I took the car to a professional detailer to have the Xpel film removed and he wasn't surprised by the black dirt lines.
BTW, you mentioned the PPF yellowing on white cars. On my car the factory film on the rear quarter panels had yellowed after a year, not much but noticeable. That was one reason why I had it replaced with Xpel.
I have a 2020 M2C (HS, not AW) coming and I will have the rocker panels and behind the rear wheels PPFd, but this time it will be wrapped AROUND the front edge of the rocker panel (just inside the wheel well) and AROUND the rear wheel opening lips. I like the protection against stone chips, but HS is a light color and I don't want to take chances on more black lines on the body, no matter how subtle they might be.