09-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #27
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Or, in other words, attend an autocross once in awhile

The two sides of tire mountain are seen at every autocross course at every event. Some drivers are getting the back end around and on the edge of grip and dancing the car around with tire squealing and lots of corrections.

Some drivers will go through the course and not make a single tire squeal and you don't even hear the car go around the course and then they come up with a time that is .2 seconds faster than the driver above and everyone is shocked.

Unfortunately, most HPDE instructors cringe in fear when they hear a student has autocross experience. I LOVE IT. I know the autocrosser likely at least has developed some car control skillz, and also likely can control the car AFTER. The car has gone to the wrong side of "Tire mountain". In other words , an autocrosser isn't going to PANIC where a novice definitely might.

While it can certainly be done on track ,
It's a lot safer to play with the back side of tire mountain at an autocross to start.
2nd that! When I first went road racing, I was .2 off the track record on my first time in a race car on a race track, and won the first race I entered too - they thought I had previous experience, but only Auto-x... great for car control, though a lot of auto-x guys risk being too fast on the hands in race traffic which is like slo-mo in comparison; more about rythym and strategy than quick thinking...
Appreciate 0