View Single Post
      09-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #24
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Yup! Jack was a fun guy to hang out with, and I did almost go off. However, he drove the car in the instructor group for a full session and I took it out immediately in the A group right after. The tires were already 160f when I left the pits, which contributed to the tank slapper in thunder valley (wasn't expecting them to be greasy on the out lap, which I absolutely should have anticipated). RE71R are great tires, but really aren't designed for 1hr stints. So it's probably not valid to compare tire temps given the higher starting point, but for the sake of a good article it makes sense and I agree with the overall point of what he is trying to say.

One thing I am curious about is how the m2 knows what temps the tires are. Is it calculated? If not, is the sensor built into the TPMS? I wonder what it is actually reading, must be either temp of the metal wheel or maybe the air inside the tire.
Ideal Gas Law. PV=NRT, just solve for Temp. T=PV/NR, where pressure is known, volume is constant. With Ambient temps and starting pressure, its easy to calculate temperature from the change in pressure. Pressure goes up as the tires get hot, just back calculate temp. Science!

Last edited by Spinnetti; 09-09-2016 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 1