M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawqi90210 View Post
Haven’t got to really dig deep in the car yet I’m ordering everything I need for the swap and fueling to keep up with the boost. I was wondering how can I fully flush my oil because I’d assume metal probably went through and is probably sitting in places it shouldn’t. So already know I need to check my intercooler and charge pipe, but oil wise how do I flush the whole system out to get as much as I can out ?
It likely does depend on the cause a bit. For me, when my turbo shaft broke, I didn't run the car but for maybe a mile or two afterwards (as I tried to diagnose the issue while being 2.5 hours away from home). After I found out it was the shaft and found a bunch of oil in my intercooler (quarts!), I checked the oil filter. There was obvious journal bearing material on the outside of the filter. I don't think any of it made it past the filter. So from the turbo, the oil goes to the pan and from the pan, to the filter.

I did send a sample of oil in to Blackstone of the oil from the intercooler.

I tried to clean the oil from the filter housing as best I could. Then I poured about a quart of oil into the housing (hoping it would flush anything to the pan). I also sent about 3 gallons of oil in the oil fill hole and then drained the oil after each one in an attempt to flush out the pan.

What I did next was to prime the oil system after filling it up with about 3 quarts of oil. I then drained that oil.

Where I sit now is with about 1 quart less than normal in the car and I have driven about 100 miles (max). I used this oil to try the new tunes. I will drain and refill and add a new filter before I drive it again and I'll consider it good. I'll send the 100-mile oil into Blackstone and the oil I will put into it after normal (track) use to see what it shows.

I hope that helps. I was debating dropping the pan and bottom end to check things out, but the more I thought about the path of oil and that the filter should have stopped anything, I felt that was more insurance than I wanted to "pay."
Appreciate 0