View Single Post
      11-22-2023, 10:12 AM   #43
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
At the end of the day I'm expecting you to do all the work and tell me what settings are best. At least good road settings and a good starting point from track No pressure
That's what I'm here for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeko View Post
Fully electronic is what I was imagining. Using EDC to control one setting, and the other two are controlled using a separate ECU that changes modes based off messages from the BMW's bus as to which mode its in.
We are still not at that point - I do believe that will be the future but still a few years off from such an animal. The R1 will be completely hands off of the dampers though with the EDC control being the only point of adjustment. More on this below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
The more I read the more I'm still trying to understand.

If the R1 is single adjustable, but two way. Rebound and low speed compression.

And the R3 is 3 way adjustable. rebound, low speed compression, and high speed compression.

Is the EDC only controlling rebound? Or is R3 triple adjustable, but 4 way? And the EDC will control rebound/low speed while the knobs adjust high/low compression.
Ok work with me a bit here - I'm going to try to go through this with my uneducated, unqualified background on the inner workings of these Chris with Inertia Laboratory is actually doing an in depth write up on these that will be up when his new site is finished.

The R1 is yes singe adjustment but considered a two way. The EDC control will both rebound and compression. The valve's adjustment is predetermined and the settings will basically be more or less for a lack of better terms. Instead of a full dial of adjustment range like with the traditional R1 the eR1 will have the three levels for comfort, sport, & sport+. We will be going through everything like we did with the traditional kit to see if there is any room for improvement to make the most of each of those 3 settings. Ultimate plug & play - once we have these dialed in all you have to do is just push the button.

The R3 is at a different level. It is still 3 way - separate dials for high and low speed comp with rebound being fully controlled through the EDC button. The way rebound is controlled it is not possible to have an adjuster rod with dial and a wire running through the piston rod - so it's one or the other. So the only rebound adjustment is the EDC button here hence still being a 3 way. Rebound is the largest force though so making an adjustment just to it inside the car will make a big change in the behavior of the car. For a street car this allows us to bring in compression to a level conducive to comfort and then the EDC switch still allows you to ramp the car up when desired and not have to go absolutely full stiff if you do not want to. Allows you to really tailor the ride characteristics as you see fit. If you track then you still have the option to take the compression where you need to to be and still work the rebound with the EDC control. And with high and low speed bump being separate you can really dial in for things like curbs, bumpy tracks, etc. We will certainly provide baseline setting recommendations with the kits too.

The R3 kit for the F8x is being spec'd as piggyback reservoirs. I personally prefer hosed remote canisters with quick disconnects on the hoses as they are much more convenient to make adjustments to and also move the reservoirs away from the heat from the brakes. Both will perform excellently but the remote/hosed versions will come in about 1200.00 more due to the price of the QDs. Personal preference here just fyi.
Appreciate 0