06-26-2019, 12:10 AM   #42
spiritsavage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Stock BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Firstly:
Not that I'm a fan of pushing high HP with F RWD platform, HP is an abstract thing and a calculated value. What really upsets the chassis is the torque, but the torque at different rpm means different hp.

In theory, 400lb*ft@3500rpm (250hp, roughly) would be just as difficult to handle as 400 pounds at 7000 (500hp). What I am getting at is, the maximum power to have is really the maximum torque at the usable rev ranges on WOT, which in M2 N55 case, is 4k~7k. Why from 4k, you may ask. Because 4k@3rd is where DME would put you when WOT at 50mph. It won't be downshifted to 5k5@2nd if you're not already on 2nd.

If somehow you think 450lb*ft on the wheel is the limit (that's what M4 CS put down on dynojet STOCK), then 450@6k5 would be 570whp.

The second point I will comment on is the maximum power N55 is capable of. To that question, we have to look at restrictions. After all these years, the ways, though some of them are downright stupid, have been figured out to address the issues of fueling (PI), octane (Meth, Ethanol) and cooling (IC and meth). They happily found themselves turbo restricted, because PS2 stop making more from 25psi and will fail in no time in that state. Then here come a few OTS turbo full bottom mount kits (STG3) that's 600whp possible. So people start to worry about internals even before the tuning is sorted out.

If I have to pick a point from which reliability is thrown out of the window, it would be the injection kit and ethanol. What they have in common is to mess up with the AFR. Without them, however high power N55 makes, it makes it in good health.
I guess I kind of wish I could make a good 600 hp just because I've seen 900 hp N54s on Dyno. But I definitely did not see them off of Dynos. I honestly don't know how much the chassis could hold WOT. Obviously I can always go softer off the line shifting up, but the front diff is honestly what I think would go first.
Appreciate 0