08-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #223
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I do believe that to be the case. Look at it this way, BMW got to where it is, sales wise, by having fun to drive vehicles. X series cars have always been slightly sportier than their direct competition. BMW accomplished this through differentiated parts and setups. Now they are ditching that approach. I'm calling it now; the gap will narrow, BMW won't pull ahead in sales. The cars are so close now between the germans that sales will come down to whoever has 0% financing or doesnt charge for android auto or whatever.
You're definitely looking at this through a BMW-specific rose colored vacuum. How many vehicles does BMW sell now vs the early 90s (pre-e36)? In addition, drivetrain and powertrain technology progress substantially over time---the current cars have a much better balance of sport and luxury than something like an e30. The reality is, the e30 325 was a step up in the performance and luxury balance over a 2002. A 340 is a step up in the same vs an e30 325.

The reality is BMW is in a MUCH better position than they've ever been. They can now make cars for people who have no interest in the sporty aspect of BMW---they like the build quality, perceived durability/safety, and many just like the badge. They don't need to own a BMW that would essentially be an unacceptable trade-off to those people. And yet, the company still offers some very compelling options for those who want more sport. I recently drove G20 340 and it was fantastic. It was a perfect sporty car for the street. You couldn't pay me to buy a base model 3 series, but the 340 is awesome. If you only drive on the street, there really is no need for an M3. Why not make cars that are more appealing to more people? Seems like smart business if you rely on volume to make money.

Quote:
The "typical" BMW driver is driving an M2 or 340 these days. The new BMW driver is the Hyundai driver who shells out 10% more to get a BMW badge and gets an X1/X3 etc.

The reality is that the entry level BMW (do you remember the e30 318--not the IS, just the regular 318) is always for people who are looking to get a taste for the brand---that's the whole reason they exist! To step up from more pedestrian brands. Back in the day, I would have much rather owned a VW GTI 2.0 16v than a base 318 all day long. No thanks!
Appreciate 0