07-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #241
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 SSII Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I think you'd be surprised to find that you've bought fakes and didn't even know it. Some simple examples:
  • Do you own a trench coat that's not a Burberry?
  • do you buy your wife an engagement ring that looks like what everyone thinks a typical engagement ring does? If you did an it's not from Tiffany, you have a fake.
  • Is every piece of furniture in your home an original? If you bought anything other than the most expensive major brands or had a craftsman make something expressly for you, you have a fake something.
I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with those items, but rather that they just aren't original designs. The fact is that the fashion industry has long accepted the basic idea of knock-offs. The principle of knock-offs vs. fakes really isn't all that different.

The only thing that distinguishes watches from other fashion articles is that they have moving parts. Unfortunately, it's not the engineering that the "authentic" makers defend; it's the look, this despite the fact that the engineering is the aspect of a watch that is generally not very well copied.

Folks who buy fakes surely know they aren't buying quite the same quality of engineering, even if they are buying effectively the same look. You and I know the same thing is so if we happen to see people wearing what we know to be a fake watch.

So why is it that we put so much weight on the form -- the look that's aped -- rather than the substance, the movement inside the watch case? After all, it's the expensive movement that one is paying for, along with the expensive marketing.

All the best.
Sir, your definition of fake is grossly inaccurate. A knock-off that is labelled as such is not a fake. A fake is an attempt to pass off an item that is labelled like the real one. Buying a timex doesn't mean you've bought a fake Rolex or whatever company started making the first wrist watches. If I buy a red solo cup and then buy a red Dixie cup that looks the same I have not bought a fake. If I'm not getting my pizza from the first guy that made pizza then is my pizza fake?
Appreciate 0