Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineV8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
I would say buying without knowing is forgiveable; blatantly buying a fake is beyond belief. I know it happens, problem is many knowingly pass them off as the real thing!
And THAT is a fake. And it's illegal.

I think people should be happy with where they are in life (financially speaking) and if not, then do something to change that. I can't afford my favorite car (GT3 RS) and I'm ok with that. I'm certainly not going to try to fake it!

If it's a Timex today there's nothing wrong with that! Tomorrow it might be a Rolex! This is life.
There is a pervading sense of entitlement that I blame on Mr. Rogers telling everyone they're special throughout their childhood. It's not popular to tell folks to work for things, and compounding the problem is the instant gratification culture where people often spend a lot of money on crap rather than do without and save for a nice item. I don't just mean watches, it goes for most things. And even if you can afford something, wait until you can score a decent deal. I can think of a handful of situations (and a handful is generous) where I'd actually need something immediately and pay full retail. Being fiscally responsible isn't just about investing properly, most people would be horrified if they total up daily trivial non-essential spending. $5 a day at Starbucks, for instance, is nearly $2k over a year.
Appreciate 0