View Single Post
      12-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #34
ironray
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob495 View Post
Interestingly enough I traded in my white 2019 Type R for a 2021 M2 Comp about 12 hours ago. I can’t comment about the performance of the M2 since I haven’t pushed it yet but I will say that I loved my Type R. Best combo of fun, daily drivability, value for dollar, performance, and looks (yes I said looks). The car was able carry my wife and kids (18 and 7 y/o) with ease and swallow large amounts of items in the rear. Acceleration was decent but the handling was incredible for a FWD platform, much more confidence inspiring than my old s2000, CTSV, Miata, Evo, and Cayman S especially at higher speeds. The shifter was sublime........when it was cooperative. Hence my trade. My transmission had 2nd gear grinds, 4th gear grinds, and 4th gear lock out. Every time I drove the car, at least one of the issues would rear its ugly head. On Sat, I merged onto the highway. I hit 2nd and CRUNCH, I left off and immediately went back into neutral. I tried again and the SAME thing happened. The third try was a charm but the bonehead behind me almost rear ended me while I had my kids and wife in the car. So pissed that I started looking on the internet and found my current ride. I would have never traded in the Type R if it weren’t for that one flaw. I’m looking forward to the next several years with my SO M2 Comp.

Congratulations you made the right move. I agree with you on the handling. I pushed the CTR to the limit on turns and it was a remarkable car for turns. Mine was tuned and acceleration was fair but at the end of the day its still a front wheel drive. Don’t feel disappointed you weren’t the the only one with transmission grind. I went to a cars and coffee and came across other CTR owners that claimed that their trans didn’t grind but once we swapped cars to drive their trans were grinding too. I have been driving a clutch for 38 years. Honda’s manual transmission has weak internals. Their transmissions can’t handle the horsepower that the CTR produces. Good luck with you M2C. You will never miss the Honda
Appreciate 0