11-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #29
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosef81 View Post
Reliability aside..

Driving wise these are two different beasts, but enthusiasts will find different things to like about them.

Call me crazy but the type R is to a civic, what a gt3 is to a 911. The suspension and chassis are seriously sorted, the gearbox (not the grindy ones) is fantastic in its feel - like a rifle bolt. The car is set up to tackle twisty roads as fast as possible and be as practical as possible. Practically it's really easy to live with, have kids in, large trunk to fit all their stuff...

It however does not replace an M2. The M2 has far more options in terms of throttle adjustability through a corner. The engine has a lot more grunt and character, although gearbox is a bit rubbery. Its brief, in my mind, is to drive down a twisty road having the most fun, with practicality added on.

Now, what I do think the type r should replace are those awful beaver toothed SUVs that 'enthusiasts' drive around in... There is no need for an x3m when there is a type r..
Great points. But one thing that ups the Type R from the M2, M2C is the adaptive suspension the M2s lack the few people points out. Owning both, I can definitely say, for a daily I’m just enjoying the Type R more and more.
Appreciate 0