2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyx11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny_b View Post
Just about to install my genuine MPE carbon lip, tomorrow if the weather's good.

The BMW item does come with 3M tape already on the lip, and I've seen the IND install video re only partially removing the backing of the 3M tape, to align correctly.

When I ordered this from the dealer, they also supplied a Dow adhesive kit, "Betalink K1". The official install instructions say to apply this glue to the 2x pads, one at each end. You can see one of them in the OP's first photo, about 6" from the end.

Question - what do most folk do, ignore using the adhesive (likely a silicon type glue?) and just rely on the 3M tape? Or have some people actually used both to ensure a really good bond?
Back when I bought mine last year, they didn't include any betalink glue with mine. I've never used betalink personally, but from what I've heard, it's extremely permanent. It will end up ripping the paint off and/or breaking the spoiler if you ever need to remove it for some reason. So, I would recommend NOT using the betalink.

I would, however, recommend biting the bullet and replacing the existing 3m tape that comes pre-installed with some thicker 3m tape. However, they may have changed the tape thickness since I bought mine almost a year ago, so I'm not sure.
Some additional info for everyone, Betalink is an adhesive not silicon like spenny_b mentioned. Dupont makes two versions K1 & K2. According to the dealer K2 is very permanent. For DYI K1 is preferred b/c it has a long working time and doesn't require the K2 mixing gun.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc
Appreciate 0