01-21-2020, 04:00 AM   #12
spenny_b
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, HS

Garage List
Just as a follow-up.....

I did install the CF lip yesterday as hoped, and didn't use the Betalink adhesive - there were far more opinions and experiences in various threads saying that it's unnecessary, so I thought I'd give it a go to start with and see how firm it attaches with 3M tape alone. I also thought I'd use the tape that the CF part came with, rather than swap it over, and see how it went.

Once I'd peeled off the old adhesive (and have now rucked-up the skin on my thumb - bloody painful) and spent a good 30mins aligning the new part with masking tape alignment marks, I was happy to then go ahead, but what I did notice is that it's a very fine call between the part being bang-on position and being marginally too close to the rear windscreen, but yet still appearing to be sitting nicely.

When I looked really closely, in the wrong position, you could see where the shallow return lip on the spoiler would prevent the tape from touching down onto the boot lid. A fractional movement and it when had a fingernail thickness gap, meaning the tape was now going to make the first contact, not the CF edge.

Once I cleaned it two or three times and re-checked, time to peel a short section and go for it. I didn't use any 3M adhesive promoter wipes - again, I thought I'd see how it went and address if necessary.

Frankly, it's stuck like you-know-what to a blanket. It feels super strong, so I'm going to go with it and see.

But I think it's wise to remember that these lips are all hand-made (as are all CF parts), so there will be variance between the depth of return lips - tenths of a mm will make all the difference on this part.
Appreciate 0