10-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
There is a ton of information online, but my understanding is that the 1200 miles is so there is enough wear on the diff and engine so that all the small metal particles generated from the break-in period are removed with the initial diff and engine oil changes.

Personally, I'd wait until at least 1000 miles.
Gotcha, that's helpful, thanks Kevin! Quick question - where is the reservoir or holding area for those small metal particles being held? In the oil pan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Zeee Germans are just rounding off kilometers to miles. 2,000 kilometers = 1,243 miles.

I know that's not what you were asking, but I had to.

In all seriousness the engine for the most part is broken in from factory, but there can still be some further bits of metal that need to be worked out. Better safe than sorry. The major part of the car that needs to be broken in is the entire drivetrain. IMO follow the break-in procedure and be patient. You can still get your oil change at 1yr or 10k miles, which ever comes first.
Thanks Tag! I think I'll have to wait until Spring for sure; there's just no way I can complete 1200 at this point, and I don't want to rush things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Yes, agree with what KevinM said. BWM say the oil needs to be changed something like every 10K or once a year so the break-in service 'short cycle' is to get the initial fill oil out of the engine and diff which gets contaminated with tiny metal particles which have come off the gears and other rotating parts. You would hope the 1200 number comes from testing where BMW determined that was the optimum point to remove the initial fill oils.
Thanks dt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Just do the break in in the spring if you don’t get to 1200 this year.
Thanks Mystro - unfortunately that's what I'm going to have to do. I'm currently at 317 lol.
Appreciate 0