04-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #316
snub-nose 28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SGM 128i Cp 6MT ZSP/ZPP

Garage List
First BMW: 1972 2002 new

I just enlisted in the USAF, had a rare 2-week break after boot-camp. I called best HS chum, now working at Ron Tonkin Import Center in east Portland-the BMW store at the time, also Lotus, among others.

Next day I'm there mid morning. He lined up 2002 tii silver and a base model also silver. Airmen pay hardly supported a 'new anything'. $3,600 MSRP IIRC, financed...and the silver /SR base was mine. Had it for 72k miles. Replaced with a 1975, different color. Both were fantastic.

Left days later, 700 mi showing. Drove to Shreveport, LA, maybe 2100 mi as I recall. Monumental drive.

No matter the nearest dealer was Richardson, TX. My 3000mi service I drove there on a Monday morning. Arrived just as they needed xtra hands to return vehicles from the major mall there; new '73 all-marques cars show displayed that prior weekend. Lot full of new every model imaginable.

Walking among half dozen remaining BMW 4-door models, GMgr unhesitatingly threw me the keys to the lone coupe: 1973 manual tranny INCA Gold 3.0 CSi.

'Bout fainted seriously, 19 yrs. young!

I still remember that steering feel, the dynamics, the ride, the huge steering wheel, the creamy ride/handling balance.

I faintly recall an intoxicating aroma as I pen this... the richest, supple, tan leather ever put in a vehicle.
Appreciate 0