View Single Post
      02-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #75
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

This thread has CLEARLY shown me one thing.

It's special if it's special to you. Doesn't matter what it is.

Like I said. My perspective is skewed. I have, what many will consider, one of the last of the true analog BMWs. It's special, especially to me.

But in reality? BMW couldn't care less about it. Not only did they not make another Z4 M in E89 guise, when they have the E89 Z4 competing with the M3 V8, they didn't even bother making a COUPE version for the new G29 Z4. They gave that right to Toyota.

That prompted me to make this post. BMW is a shell of who they used to be. They might as well be Toyota or GM, which is who they're aspiring to be. Volume sellers of average vehicles to appease the masses. Even their vaunted ///M brand has been diluted to middle of the road models requiring "Competition", CS, or GTS models to aspire to.

And you're right, even the E46 had "Competition" package (ZCP) and a CSL. But the CSL was freakin' UNOBTAINIUM here in the United States, and the "Competition" package wasn't a separate model with new engines and a bunch of trim upgrades...The ZCP package was an option you tick off on the build sheet for more track oriented equipment. Again, back then, you see an M3 on the road, and you know whoever bought it had aspired to own the top trim of the 3 series, whether or not that's their goal...

Time will tell. I suspect the way BMW has tiered their ///M products now, most of the F8X chassis will depreciate at a much faster rate because in the used car market, the "Competition," CS, and GTS models will be far more desirable.

But then again, I'm sure none of us bought our cars with the expressed intent to sell it, right?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
pz6193275.50
xQx902.50