Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
30C/50F degrees of difference I meant.
Cold temp helps the M2C with more engine power, while not affecting much on the grip with PSS properly warmed up, which Auto Sport people made sure of.
On the other end, S55, like any other engine, loses a significant amount of power over a 30C/50F ambient temp increase. My personal experience - on Shanghai F1 circuit, exiting turn 13 into 1.3km long straight, the M4 ZCP traps 260+kph in winter (0~10C) and only 240+kph in summer (35C). 20kph is worth 30~40hp or so.
I would agree, Cup2 should be worth 1s or more at Hockenheim GP. But I'm inclined to believing the M2 CS would be still 1.5s quicker in a back to back test, given the same tire.
I agree that cold temp during the run (M2C) is favourable for power production but the low track temp at 1 degree Celsius does reduces traction. One won't be able to properly warm up tyres under that temperature as heat in tyres drops fast, especially if it was a windy day. PSS is a summer tyre. GM's service bulletin, for example stated that PSS has reduced capability below 5°C (40°F).

Your experience in terminal speed reduction at the Shanghai track during a hot day would not only be temperature related. Humidity and atmospheric pressure are also factors to consider.

I speculate that the difference between the two would be around 1 second. Can't wait for someone to compare the two on the same day with the same transmission and same tyres.

Last edited by Karmic Man; 09-20-2019 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0