04-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #93
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boony1968 View Post
I understand the skepticism as I could not find any documentation either. But, a national distributor is not going to assume the liability just to sell a bottom rung $500 trailer... The GVWR for my car is 4,430 lbs, the GAWR Rear is 2,380 lbs. I could put the TRAILER itself (cut up), all the contents and my chubby butt INSIDE the car and still be under the GVWR.

Trailersplus didn't sell me the hitch, ball mount or ball. All of which (including the trailer) are independently rated well below 3,500 lbs. There is likely some calculation with the weight ratings to determine towing capacity. If you're considering doing this but are concerned, call the stealthhitch folks. They sell a product specific to the M2. They wouldn't do it if the car couldn't handle it because lawsuits.
Maybe, but most people claim things to be platform specific but are just carry overs and compatible, not specific. You'd have to test the frame as well not just do calculations. I think the hitch was made for bike racks, which bmw also has for the 2 series, not for towing small trailers. I would love to get this on my car as well, since I'm tired of towing cars to the track because of the crazy tight parking lots and sometimes there's nowhere to park when you have a trailer as well.

The issue i'm worried about is if the m2's bumper brace can handle the weight of towing for long periods of time. I would logically thing so because that's how the m2 would be towed itself onto a tow truck with the rear tow hook. But it probably wasn't meant for sustained use.