Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Can crunch like noise on MT shifts?

I can swear I hear the soda crunch sound when changing gears but only if mismatch revs i.e as if trying to "chirp" the tires. Obviously I have a 6MT and it is most obvious when I upshift aggressively and the revs are not perfectly matched (usually a bit higher than the rev match would like)

At first, for several weeks, I thought it was the muffler flap opening and getting louder as part of some sort of computer engine modification to rev match but I have heard the random soda can crunch sound and it sounds very similar. The more I think about it I believe it comes from the differential. It only lasts 1/2 second. Once the revs match the rear wheels engage

Almost as is the differential clutches are not engaging initially with the increased drive shaft rotation speed ? willfully? or otherwise protecting the wheels from breaking loose. No DCS light in case you wonder. Once the diff engages I can break the tires and DCS light will come on.

I get the same noise if I depress clutch ( while car is moving), rev engine a bit, and drop the clutch. Get a crunchy noise from diff, tires wont break loose. Not that I am beating on the car but just mismatching revs by 1000 rpm or so.

My car is may 30 build and I am affected by the diff recall. Got call from dealer. Will get new diff Nov 8th.

Curious if anyone else has noticed this noise when shifting aggressively (not necessarily only when trying to chirp tires) with the manual tranny.

BTW Since 1977 all my DD vehicles have been manual so I am not a manual noobie missing or blowing shifts!
Appreciate 0