07-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #74
element241
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGun View Post
I just added the Exhaust and Carbon Fiber tips to my week 36 build. Here is my dealers price break down:

ZA4 - M Performance Exhaust - $2,985

Z6M - Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips - $1,500

I think I'm being overcharged over here , can someone please confirm. Thanks
The prices aren't "wrong" in the sense that the dealer artificially marked it up. However, that is the max list price for the exhaust and carbon fiber tips, and it's more than you have to pay. BMW of El Cajon (in San Diego) offers the M2 MPE for $2175 and BMW of Morristown offers the carbon fiber tips for $1050 on their eBay stores:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-Perfor...pXYYH~&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Carbon-F...tUGEIZ&vxp=mtr

Given that you're in Philadelphia, if you want to get it all from Morristown, they offer the MPE for $2200, only $25 more than El Cajon. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-Perfor...ZXSF7w&vxp=mtr) The only extra thing that your dealer's price includes is installation. If you order the exhaust on your build, it'll be installed at the port facility for no additional cost. If you buy just the parts, you'll have to pay a local shop or dealer to do the installation (unless you DIY). Both Morristown and El Cajon offer free shipping, so that's not of any concern.

The M2 MPE isn't your typical exhaust installation because it requires some dismantling of the trunk lining to re-arrange some modules near the battery and run the wiring to support the Bluetooth control module. It can take 2 or maybe even 3 hours in total, especially if yours is the first M2 MPE installation by your shop/dealer, so you should take that cost into account. But even with the installation costs, you could save about $1000. You might also save an additional couple hundred bucks on sales tax if you buy from out-of-state and have it shipped to you (versus buying in-person at, say, Morristown). Technically, you're probably supposed to report it on your state tax return and pay it, but... If you include it on your build spec, you'll pay sales tax on the exhaust regardless because it'll be included in the purchase price of the car.

If you're worried about the eBay aspect of it, you can always call the respective dealership's parts department and I can't imagine that they wouldn't honor the eBay price. Even if you buy through eBay, the parts should come with dealership invoices (which you can confirm with the dealer before buying on eBay). However, if you wanted to buy from Morristown and have them do the installation, they most likely won't be able to offer you free or discounted installation in lieu of the free shipping because the free shipping is offered by the parts department whereas the installation is handled by the service department, which is separate.

Hope that helps.
2015 F80 M3 - MG/SO - DCT - Exec Pkg - EDC (sold)
2014 F22 M235i - AW/Black - 6MT - Premium Pkg - Tech Pkg (sold)

Last edited by element241; 07-19-2016 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 2