07-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #47
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
So, all the manual transmission cars that were produced since the car was invented will suddenly cease to exist? Will people only buy brand new cars that are not offered with a manual???

I made sure my son learned to drive a manual just because it is going away. It will be a "lost art" so to speak, and anyone that can actually drive one will have the advantage of being a able to enjoy all the great cars that came with one. Every E30 M3, any Porsche worthy of being called a Porsche, a classic Ferrari with a gated shifter.

My 16 year old son has a 2007 Z4 with a 6 speed manual and loves the fact that NONE of his friends can drive his car. It takes SKILL.
I'm not ragging on manuals. I actually prefer them. My daughter still drives the manual transmission car I gave her. I taught her how to operate a manual transmission car.

Red:
I doubt that'll occur anytime soon. Even if/when it substantively occurs, I doubt there'll be anything sudden about it.

Blue:
I think that in time, the answer to that question is mostly "yes." I don't think manual transmissions will disappear completed in the consumer automobile marketplace, but I do think they'll be found only on exotic or "bargain basement" new cars and on certain trucks. I think the days of their presence in the mainstream automobile marketplace are numbered and that number is somewhere in the foreseeable future. It may not occur in five years, but, absent a major breakthrough in manual transmission technology, it's certainly something I believe will occur within 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
You can't buy a new Ferrari with a MT though... the last one that was built was a 599 in 2011 - and all the Ferrari customers basically voted with their wallet and bought the DCT. It's the same thing happening here.
Well, there you have it. I think if Ferrari can see its way into the future without a manual transmission car, the rest of the car industry will too.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0