View Single Post
      03-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #72
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

I agree that there is not only a transmission and/or technology problem with BMW.
It is hard to believe their vision is not compromised by trends of other brands such as Audi, Mercedes Benz for example.
it is obvious that BMW is a business and they have to be competitive, but there is something that doesn't make sense to me.
The situation with the size of their cars, transmission, softer suspension, etc.. The fact that their cars are growing bigger each generation, sounds to me as a misinterpretation of their analysis in customer satisfaction and needs research.
SUVs are getting smaller, at least, versions of some of them, BMW reached to the X1 and Audi to the Q3. If people wanted bigger cars, just for the sake of it, Hummers would have created a lasting trend, and Beverly Hills would be infested with german tanks for the daily commute.
I make a pause here because I don't want anyone to take literal what I am about to say, it's just a perspective. A personal one, without any access to official marketing analysis or so.
What it seems to me, as a business analyst, and this is just a humble opinion, is that people in general, not only in automobiles, are looking for Status and Luxury, with "sportiness" being a consequence of a high status car in many cases. Commercial (not italian) bigger cars are often more expensive than smaller cars and for that, more exclusive (Status and Luxury).
If you ask directly to people what they want (in a marketing research) they will most of the time answer with the solution for their need, not their need specifically. So they will most likely demand for a bigger car. People with SUVs do not have issues with size, instead they have already perceived they need more attention to detail in design (Interior and Exterior), a smaller size SUV to fit better in the parking areas, a more sporty suspension and power to not get passed by smaller cars… etc.
If I were BMW I will reconsider again if people need bigger cars, or they need more Status and Luxury, because there are better ways to achieve these in a car.
What if a 2-Series sized car would have been a best BMW enthusiast seller if placed in the 5 series price range?. Introducing a new class that drives better than a 3/5 series, smaller and with the same level of attention to detail, manual standard/DCT optional, exclusivity and technology?

Last edited by Manbnda; 03-11-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0