Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMWi and Tesla do not compete.
They might semi-compete because of their drivetrain. But in overall concept they do not. Its a familiar concept the US media fail to grasp.
They will eventually when we arrive with similar concepts but that won't be for a while. I would expect that Model 3 has in fact changed concept to reflect the US desire for SUV/Crossovers. Because that is what the Model 3 is,a Crossover.

It is not a Sport Sedan like the 3er if we want to directly compare concepts (not drivetrains) then the Model 3 would be a direct competitor for the BMW 3er Gran Turismo.

Hopefully when we progress through the build-up we will get to learn on how Model 3 when Teased a couple of years back looked like a smaller Model S and now on its journey to production it is now a Crossover.
Has the market brought this decisive change?

In regards to BMW doing nothing.?
The company has developed Power eDrive which will be available in three different levels from entry to high performance.
We will even feature this on M cars which we will shortly see soon enough.
Scott,
I think there is a bit of confusion in your post, and i apologize if misunderstood you
Model 3 is a sport sedan which will compete with 3-series sedan and grand coupe directly (also C-class, A4)
It will most likely be a better driving car that these two
However, since Model 3 will have roughly twice as much cargo space as regular 3-er with more legroom, it may also steal some 3GT sales
On top of that, it will eat i3 due to the fact that it has twice the range, better price and looks way better
Oh, it'll be AWD as well, if you need one

Last thing to keep in mind, Model 3 set new platform
I can guarantee, just like Model S and X shares platform, Model 3 will have an SUV brother

P.S. Remember blackberry vs iPhone?
Or Sony and where it is now from being in the top of TV / camcorder / Walkman business

Things changed
Better things are coming as the world progresses
And just like humans traded horses for cars, combustion engine will get replaced by new tech.

Last edited by AndreyATC; 04-02-2016 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 1