01-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #108
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCThree View Post
The one thing I'm not totally thrilled with is that the rears are pretty tall (which I like) but the fronts aren't. It looks a little mismatched to me. I'd prefer maybe a 255/30 in the front to make it taller to match the rear but I've read people say that second number needs to match on both front and rear due to traction control system issues. Not sure as I'm no tire expert obviously.

What I'm trying to say is: Love the 285/35 rears but the 255/35 fronts are shorter and it makes it look odd.
Yeah I know what you mean, I'm also not a fan of the raked looked either.

The second number matching doesn't mean anything, it doesn't necessarily have to match. What the second number represents is aspect ratio, ratio of width to rim size. So you need to pick an aspect ratio that results in an overall tire height that is within 3% of factory overall height in order to avoid issues. There's a calculator online to determine it. But an example is if you go significantly wider than factory with the same height you'll need a smaller aspect ratio to keep the same or similar overall height.
SCCThree816.00