M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
The other thing that has to be taken into account is atmospheric conditions. I believe C&D adjusts for these, but R&T was not last time I looked - and these guys I have no idea. So if the M2 ran on a 85 degree day and the M3 ran on a 70 degree day, one could argue that the M2's times were high and it would have been even quicker.

Alas, you also have the track condition (temps are going to affect that as well)

As jlhymb points out, these are chance circumstances and they get more prevalent when the cars are not run on the same day/time.

And I think a lot of people believe we would not be having these arguments if the M3 was .02 faster - but once again jlhymb points out, that's not the case at all. In fact, what a lot of people fail to realize is that if the M2 and M3 were run on the same day, side by side who knows, maybe the M2s time would be much better?
Of course! Ideally for the most accurate comparison these tests should be done on the same day and by the same driver. Even then it may not be perfect since the temp and track conditions can change depending on the time of the day. I already stated the weather factor in my earlier post on the second page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Even though I agree that these tests weren't done in the same day under the same weather conditions, the drivers who did tests aren't your average HPDE driver. Btw, most of the tests were done by the same driver (Romain Monti). He was the driver for M2 Competition, M3 Competition, M2, 718 Cayman S, C63S, Alpine A110, and Camaro.

Some of their video descriptions also include what tires they had on the cars. M2C for instance had stock Pilot Super Sport while Alpine had Pilot Sport 4S. It doesn't mention but I believe M2 and M3C had the stock PSS tires as well. However, M3C stock tire sizes are 265/285 (vs 245/265) so it has some advantage there in addition to the power difference.

Here are videos of some other cars at the same track and by the same driver:
Appreciate 0