View Single Post
      01-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #28
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Maybe people with more money and car knowledge than myself would enjoy a project like that but I certainly wouldn't. You'd need deep pockets and it's also quite a lot of parts to have to install and potentially remove for service/resale. I personally would much rather have an engine where a few very basic bolt ons (Tune, Downpipes, IC) would be enough to make it move: N54/B58/S55. I'm not trying to add turbos, fuel pumps, gapped plugs, port injection, methanol, E85, charge pipes, dv's and god knows what else. That gets expensive and diagnosing issues becomes a headache. I don't want a project car that's constantly being worked on sitting in the garage. I just want to get in and drive and have everything work. To each their own I suppose.
I completely understand this point of view. But in my case, and I'm sure many others on here as well, do wrench on our own cars.

I don't switch cars often..they are money pits every time you get a new one...so I tinker. I make it my own. I keep it for the long haul. Working on things myself certainly saves $$$ vs just taking it to a shop and getting footed a ridiculous bill.

And there are tried and trued packages out there for turbos. It's the stage 3 stuff, more uncharted territory you seem to be describing.

PS2 is a direct swap. Get a fuel pump. Tune. Done.
Easiest route for actual gains. The engine is fantastic. It's the damn turbo..but many just write it off as being bad(N55)?

It's too torquey......problem: stock turbo
It doesn't rev out....problem: stock turbo
It doesn't have tuning potential.....problem: stock turbo
Try to tune, gets too hot....problem: stock turbo(out of efficiency range)

Was rolled out the factory this way by intention.

But since this is all hypothetical 'If you could, would you'...that s65....thats the last great hit. Everything else after is just another turboed car.
Appreciate 2