12-01-2019, 10:59 PM   #19
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
Unless you're a track fiend/back road warrior - it probably won't be as enjoyable of a car. M2 is very playful, GT4 a more serious instrument. My experience is in the 981, but they're quite similar. The long gearing is the worst part about the car, in regular city driving it feels very sluggish. Winding it out is quite rewarding but that's at a lose your license speed. Visibility around the car is... terrible, but at least the 718 will have updated PCM/back up camera etc. It will sound 1000x better, though
I agree with the first part of this, but I've never once found visibility to be an issue.

I've got both, and despite the fact that they're both 2-doors, I find them to be quite different.

The best short summary would be:

With the GT4, Porsche took a SPORTS car and threw a bunch of race car parts on it, and it feels like a race car.

With the M2C, BMW took a regular ECONOMY car and threw a bunch of SPORTS car parts on it, and it feels like a sports car.

(I know that isn't entirely accurate, but it kind of sums up how they feel)

I would say overall, there's no question that the GT4 is the "better" car in every way. Sound, build quality, performance, handling, overall feel, looks, etc. The M2 is the much better daily driver though, and a car you can take anywhere and everywhere without thinking, or worrying about mileage, etc.

The M2C can comfortably fit 4 adults in the car, as long as the people in the back around around 5'10 or shorter. It's not super practical, but it works. I actually would have bought an F80 M3, but they were out of production and I wanted to do European Delivery (was always on my bucket list).

As the saying goes: Porsche, there is no substitute. But I honestly think overall the car that I'll be more attached to is the M2C. It's the car I intend to drive across North America in, drive year round, take camping, to cottages, etc., and never worry about it. I don't care if it gets stone chips or covered in mud, etc. The GT4 WOULD be my first choice if I lived in Germany (one day!), but in Canada the roads are straight, the speed limits are low (and going 50km/h over gets your car impounded), and while we do have some race tracks, they're not as great as the ones in Europe, and take a lot of planning to do.

I'm lucky enough to own both and am still debating about getting the 718 GT4 just so that I can Euro-deliver it, and also get a new car with no mileage, new warranty, etc.

Driving the M2C at the Nurburgring really highlighted that the M2C is much more of a "sporty" car than it is a track weapon. I'm no pro by any means, but I feel a lot more confident and capable in the GT4 (which I've tracked a bunch at places like Mosport, Watkins Glen, various other Ontario tracks).

When I got home to Toronto after my European Delivery trip I jumped in the GT4 and immediately said "Wow, now THIS is a sports car".

But when you're driving the M2C you'll be smiling the whole time too. There's just no comparison back to back, but the M2C is the car I'll probably drive much more. Did 7,500km in Europe and it was an incredible experience.

The GT4 is certainly much more of an event to drive (especially with the buckets, the fire extinguisher by your side), the sound, and so on.

It's just not the kind of car you want to get in, drive to the store, get out, get back in, drive to another one, get gas, drive home, parallel park, etc. It's just not meant for that.

I truly feel like it's the kind of car to take out once a week in the European Alps, to put a huge smile on your face on the twisty roads, and the occasional track day at the Nurburgring. For every day purposes I kind of feel like I'll have more fun in the M2.

But yeah, back to those seats...it really feels like a must if you're going for a GT4. Otherwise it might be worth just considering a 981 Cayman S (naturally aspirated) with an exhaust. More than enough car for the road. The GT4 looks much meaner, but you won't be using up anywhere close to its potential commuting to work.

A few random notes about each:

GT4
  • Great sound. Can't beat naturally aspirated.
  • I LOVE the carbon bucket seats. Easily my favourite thing about the car. DO IT!
  • Looks amazing from every angle.
  • So amazing on the track.
  • Quite good on gas if you're not going crazy.
  • Quite comfortable as the driver.
  • Cup holders are useless.
  • Decent amount of trunk space (2 trunks!)

M2C
  • Sounds kinda cool actually, but not nearly as good or loud.
  • Cup holders work!
  • Lots of good creature comforts (heated steering wheel, seats, etc.)
  • Very comfortable.
  • Fast. Faster acceleration than the GT4.
  • Tail happy, and easy to slide around. Predictable. The GT4 is a lot tougher to slide.

'20 BMW M2 Competition (6spd, Euro-delivered July '19)
Appreciate 4
cptobvious2531.50
baege1320.50
W///7434.00
Jarran10.50