View Single Post
      09-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
So, I'm not really into "adding" power to my car because I don't want to sacrifice reliability, but I would like to "uncover" any power that is already there that might be stifled by certain factory parts or tune that aren't up to the task.

I've been pouring over posts and it seems like I need to leave the stock intake, add a better down-pipe (catted or cat-less), add an exhaust, and flash a simple tune. Is that about it?

I'm curious about the Dinan turbo and intercooler, like if they are making the car better, or sacrificing reliability to add power.

What would you say the weakest link is in the chain to releasing the power the car should have come from the factory with? The tune?

Your thoughts?
I'm quite confused about your distinction between "adding" power and "releasing" power that's already there. But... for the sake of adding a headache to my life that I cannot release, I am going to ignore it.

Basically, this is the general consensus on power options.

1) You can run a bootmod3 Stg1 tune. It doesn't require any hardware mods. And I don't think anyone has seen a dyno run with it yet. My crude guess is a 10-20hp increase and a 25-50tq increase.

2) You can do bootmod3 Stg2 tune. This requires an upgraded intercooler and downpipe. Stock intake and exhaust has been said to be adequate. This should get you close to 400 wheel hp and I think 450tq.

3) You can do everything from #2. Plus xdi-35 fuel pump, pure stg2 turbo, and water meth injection. You need a custom tune for this. Then you'll make 450-500whp. Depending on the tune.

There are some little things to add too. Charge and boost pipes, turbo inlet pipe, and diverter valve+. Charge and boost pipes are easier to install while you upgrade the intercooler, so I did mine at the same time. Turbo inlet pipe and diverter valve+ are easier to upgrade when replacing the turbo.

Dinan upgraded turbo is good, Pure Stg2 turbo is better. But I think the Pure turbo is also $1k more expensive.

Biggest benefit I think to upgrade the turbo isn't just the increase in power, but moving the power to higher in the rpm range.

Dinan intercooler is junk. It seems good on paper, but all the logs I've seen on these forums show it running quite hot. Wagner Evo2 Competition I think is the best. There are some other good brands too, but I forgot what they are.

A sport cat downpipe is better than a catless downpipe. Likely no check engine light, still pass emissions tests, and isn't as loud.

Weakest link is downpipe and intercooler, then fuel pump and other fueling related things.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 09-19-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00