12-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #21
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
I like this one the most and your "abstracts" would be next. If I ever go to Antelope, I'd be tempted to bring a towel to knock down the footprints, that's always bothered me about the canyon shots.
You had better plan on going in the off season like i did. Apparently during the summer when you can get pics of the light shafts, the place is packed and basically people are shoulder to shoulder in there. The Navajo take you out there in their vehicles. Each vehicle holds 8 to 10 people. He said there is typically 80 to 100 vehicles at the entrance of the slot canyon. The day we were there, there were 4 vehicles. It still would have been difficult to impossible to have enough time to sweep the sand smooth.

But i agree and think it would really add to the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
That whole article encapsulates a conversation my wife and i had about the pics i took on that trip. She was saying they are some of my best work. My response was, meh.... i kind of think it's just the subject matter. Sure, some of them are exposed very well, but over all, i think it's the subject that makes them what they are. Composition is just too easy out there. You can basically point the camera any where and get nice images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Great series. The GC is hard to shoot unless there are some clouds or something to add interest, and you got that. I once lucked out and was there for a snow and it became very photogenic. Your slot-canyon shots are awesome.

For stars, use the largest aperture lens that you have at a fairly wide angle. The general rule is to keep the exposure under 25-sec. by upping ISO as needed. The ratio of the aperture to the focal length can be used with a formula for an even more precise time, but the larger the aperture relative to the focal length, the better. Still, 25-sec. usually does the trick. Try wide-open, at ISO 1600 for 25-sec. as a starting point. My biggest problem is getting focused. You can't just choose infinity. I try to find a really bright start and use Live View manual focus at 10x view. Lock the mirror up and use remote release or self-timer on a very sturdy tripod. If it's windy, you might as well come back another night, unless you can get behind a big rock to block the wind.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I got out to the south rim trail early with little to no haze thinking the sun beaming in over my right shoulder would garner wonderful westward facing photos. But i soon learned that the distance to the other side of the canyon, coupled with light from a low light source make for no shadows and reveal little to no depth. So all the images that turned out well were actually shot while facing East. Except for the sunset image.

I'm going to practice on a moonless night here at home, but the amount of stars vissible will be pathetic. But at least i'll be ready for next time i can see the milky way without by simply looking up.