View Single Post
      04-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #51
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Exactly, because it is the fastest way around this particular track. I can't think of a track in North America where overrunning the berms extremely wide is as critical a component of the laps. There's a reason why Hockenheim is considered a legend in and of itself and why the GP races with huge grandstands are held there and are exciting to watch despite it being a short track (especially in the Hockenheim short configuration). There's nothing quite like it that I have seen.

Also to address others' comments, would think that most should realize this, but this is a street car test by a racing driver and not a race car, so when they are testing multiple laps, brakes fade, tires get sticky and of course lap conditions change. Is there .2 secs left in perfect conditions? Maybe, but again, the track is a dynamic environment and a street car responds to that environment differently from a race car and thus you will never get the same consistency in a street car as in a race car. I'm sure Mr. Gebhardt would agree. It's a fantastic lap, just like the dozens of videotaped laps well documented in Sport Auto videos (all available on Youtube) for the Supertest and TunerGP on Hockenheim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Turn 1 at Hockenheim is a corner where allmost everyone goes wide. IIRC they have had to warn drivers during F1 races to stay within the track limits at turn 1 because they tend to go wide there to carry more speed onto the following straight.

To me the lap looks to be a very good one, I'm not sure there's a lot of time to be found, but of course every lap can be improved (even F1 drivers do mistakes quite frequently)
Appreciate 2