11-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4SW View Post
Hi guys. Long time member but this is my first thread from the UK.

I've been looking through the forums and can't decide if this is a bad time or not to be buying a used M2. Test drove one the other week and loved it. What a car. With news of the M2 CS coming in March 2018 is now a bad time to buy a standard M2. What is the future of the current standard car?

My thinking is the CS will be min £10k more than a standard M2 so standard cars won't be impacted by it in terms of resale as the CS will be limited numbers and more of a collectors car than a daily. However, one thing that concerns me is that will BMW change the standard M2 next year despite them just releasing the LCI. People are talking about the M4 engine being used in all M2s and the current engine not being compliant with emissions so it will be phased out. Also are there plans to launch a new 2 series soon? If so that will mean a new M2 shortly after the release of the new car.

I really want to get back into an M car, and I've have found a car to buy. I miss my e46 M3 so much, but don't want to get into a car that will be a financial disaster. Your thoughts and knowledge on this would be much appreciated folks. Thanks in advance.
Here are my thoughts:
On the E46 M3, I see prices of those holding up very well if you get the right one. A manual with black or cloth interior will hold up well in value. If you can find a CSP or even a no sunroof, car that is clean, those cars will hold their value well. They are last of the NA BMWs and will be desired for a long time if well taken care of.

In the US, you can only buy bloated M2s with power seats, folding mirrors and leather seats. In Europe you can get lighter manual seats and less options so the CS seems less relevant for me in Europe than in the US where they might offer us the lighter manual seats at a higher price.

You don't live in Germany where there are no speed limits and really these cars are reaching the limits of rear traction so I would find a clean stripped M2 with manual seats and that will be the best financial decision. It will be a little lighter and do 98% of what the CS will do for 30% less.

That is my two cents worth.
Appreciate 0